Started a job yesterday and posting slipped my mind. Here’s a combo makeup post.
Day 5: A book you hate.
1. Twilight, by Stephaine Meyer. Yep, I said it. This is the only book on this list of books I hate that I think is actually damaging to young women, versus just not being to my personal taste. I do not understand people who say these books are a good example to teenagers. Is premarital sex really that much more important to people than abuse and control? Such a gross book.
2. Arrowsmith, by Sinclair Lewis. I’m not normally bothered by a self-involved protagonist, but Martin Arrowsmith is painfully self involved. I found nothing to like about this, it was seriously difficult to finish.
Day 6: Your favorite writer.
1. Jonathan Safran Foer. I started reading his books after I saw him on The Colbert Report promoting Eating Animals. I thought it was great, so checked Everything is Illuminated and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close out of the library as well.
2. Kazuo Ishiguro. I read Remains of the Day for Academic Decathlon in high school, as well as 3 other novels by Ishiguro. I kind of forgot about him as an author until last year when Never Let Me Go was my favorite novel read in 2009. I’m a little afraid to see the movie though.
3. Kelley Armstrong. Her books aren’t as *deep thoughts* as my other two favorites, but I love how she writes a strong female character. She’s also an author I’ll spend time tracking down otherwise marginal anthologies to read her short stories.