I’ve been trying to cut back on meat lately, for a variety of reasons. This recipe for veggie burgers has a very satisfying texture, and way more flavor than a store bought Gardenburger. Cheaper too.
D was a big fan, and he’s about as meat and potatoes as you can get. He also suggested seasoning it with Kris’s taco seasoning recipe at some point in the future.
adapted from Great Food Fast
3/4 cup lentils
3/4 cup walnuts
1/3 cup breadcrumbs (I used Italian ones because it was what I had)
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons corriander
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (if you don’t like spicy, cut this back to 1/4 or 1/2 t.)
salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Cilantro-Yogurt Sauce (1 small container plain yogurt, mixed with 2 T chopped cilantro and 1 T lemon juice)
1. Cover lentils in water and simmer until tender but not mushy, 15-20 min. Drain and cool. This step can be done the day before.
2. In food processor, combine walnuts, breadcrumbs, garlic, spices, salt and pepper. Process to finely ground.
3. Add lentils and pulse until just combined. Some lentils should remain whole.
4. Whisk the egg in a separate bowl. Add mixture from food processor and mix well. Form into 4 patties.
5. Grease a skillet or grill pan, cook over medium-low heat until browned on each side. 8-10 min per side. Serve on bun with cilantro-yogurt sauce.